What is the difference between Server 2012 and Server 2012 R2?
Server 2012 is the original release while Server 2012 R2 is the second release. R2 has additional features, updates, and security patches. Some of the key new features of Server 2012 R2 are Storage Tiering, Storage Pinning, Desired State Configuration, and Work folders.
Upgrade vs Clean Install When Installing Server 2012 R2 Standard
You may be able to upgrade to Server Standard 2012 R2 If one of the following are currently installed:
- Windows Web Server 2008 R2 with SP1
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with SP1
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard with SP1
- Windows Server 2012 Standard
Otherwise you will need to do a clean install which requires you to format your hard drive. Generally you will get better performance when doing a clean install but you will loose all your data.
- Processor: Minimum: 1.4 GHz 64-bit Processor
- RAM: Minimum: 512 MB
- Disk Space: Minimum: 32 GB